Feb. 20 (Wed): Two groups of Canoes, one in Awa and another in Oura Bay, Protested; Riot Police Pushed and Injured a Woman

(In front of the Gate)
From 8:30am, 25 people resumed the sit-in including 4 young workers from a welfare facility in Kyoto and some Taiwanese. Mr. H who is learning Japanese told us that “I do not understand much Japanese, but I support your action. I hope that the outcome on 24th will be good to you”.
Three times today from the morning through the afternoon, 376 deliveries in total were made.


(On the sea in Oura Bay)
One boat and 7 canoes were out on the sea to protest. Construction of N4 seawall seemed almost completed. The picture shows vehicles travelling on N4 seawall.


(In front of Ryukyu Cement Pier)
The day of the Saturday Intensive Action. Many participants were from Kyoto and Kanagawa, and Ryukyu University Students. The number of participants reached approximately 150 which was much larger than the usual. The larger number of participants seemed to have irritated the riot police, who became more forceful to pull out the protestors in order to secure the pathway for trucks, and pushed down a 77 year old woman to the road. She hit the back of her head hard and was transported by an ambulance. She was reported to require a month for full recovery.
Three dump trucks on their way to the Pier turned back, and the deliveries were stopped, but resumed in the afternoon and continued to past 5:00pm.


(On the sea by the Pier in Awa)
In order to disperse the power of the Coast Guard, the protest was conducted in two separate places; in Oura Bay and in Awa. One rubber boat and 8 canoes went out on the sea from the beach in Awa toward the Pier which is 300m away. At about 11:00am, due to the injury accident, the works were stopped for several hours, but resumed in the afternoon. Another team of canoes stayed locked to the anchoring ropes of the carrier boats and successfully delayed their departure by about 1 hour.


Mr. Robert Kajiwara, a 4th generation Japanese residing in Hawaii, who initiated the petition to the Whitehouse arrived at Kansai Airport where he was bombarded with questions for about 110 minutes while going through the immigration inspection. He insisted.
“I have come to stay in Japan several times a year. This is the first time to be treated like this. This is a harassment.” The immigration inspector questioned Mr. Kajiwara what the purpose of coming to Japan was and what events he planned to attend, if he planned to participate a protest demonstration, if he planned to go Henoko. Such questions were asked in different phrases and so many times.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.