Mar. 27 (Wed): Eleven Members of 3 Generation Families Joined in the Sit-In in front of the Gate, No Trace of Feeding by Dugongs since the Last December

(In front of the Gate)
Eleven members over 3 generations of 2 families from Fukuoka Prefecture, joined the Sit-in in front of the Gate. The youngest boy was a pre-school kid. He started crying when a riot police man stood towering over him. His grandmother spoke to the riot police through a mike.
“Aren’t you doing the things for kids to cry over? We, families are sitting here to appeal you not to destroy the precious sea. We keep on fighting for our grandchildren and the generations to follow.”
They came to Okinawa to scatter the ashes of her late husband. Seventeen Chuo University students who come to Okinawa every spring for a training meet, came to joined us in front of the Gate.
Truckloads of 274 were delivered today.

(In front of Ryukyu Cement Pier in Awa)
The day of “Wednesday Intensive Action”. Over 100 people rallied in front of the Pier in Awa and on the sea. “A Safe Driving Parade” in front of the Ryukyu Cement Pier successfully reduced the number of deliveries to 274 truckloads which is approximately a half of the usual amount.
The team of 14 canoes also delayed the departures of the carrier ships. Only 1 carrier ship could leave the Pier. The picture in the bottom showed the Coast Guard trying to cut the rope that a canoe tied itself to the net.



It has been reported that there is not a trace of Dugong feeding in Oura Bay since the last December when the Defense Bureau started depositing earth and sand into the Bay. In September, 2015, 120 traces of feeding lines were confirmed, but had decreased to 58 in February 2018. The Secretary of Dugong Network Okinawa, Mr. Hosokawa Taro, has pointed out that “it is reasonable to think that sound and vibration have affected and driven dugong to their limit of endurance”. On 18th last week, among 3 dugongs identified, one was found dead. They had disappeared in search for a new feeding place. Where are they now? The remaining two have not been sighted yet. The picture shows a trace of a feeding line pictured 5 years ago.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.